For the control of Strangles caused by Streptococcus equi in horse.
- Equivac® S Strangles Vaccine is a cell free extract of the Streptococcus equi organism used in the control of strangles.
- Key Features
- Convenient owner-administered protection of horses against this serious disease
- Convenient single dose syringe presentation
- Equivac® S Strangles Vaccine comes in a prefilled single use syringe
- Dosage and Administration
Given by intramuscular injection in the centre of the side of the neck. Clip the hair and disinfect the skin prior to injection.
Vaccination program for Horses – tetanus & strangles
Vaccination Age Disease Vaccine 1st* 12 weeks Strangles
Equivac® 2 in 1 or Equivac® S 2nd 14 weeks (2 weeks later) Strangles Equivac® 2 in 1 or Equivac® S 3rd 16 weeks (2 weeks later) Strangles
Equivac® 2 in 1 or Equivac® S Annual booster vaccinations 16 months (12 months later) Strangles
Equivac® 2 in 1 Ongoing protection Annually^ Strangles Equivac® 2 in 1 or Equivac® S Every 5 years Tetanus Equivac® T
*When commencing a vaccination program on an adult horse or horses with an unknown vaccination record, use the same vaccination program of three initial doses two weeks apart, followed by an annual booster dose.
^ 6-monthly boosters should be considered in high risk situations.
- Additional Information
- Store 2°-8°C (refrigerate)
- Equivac® S Strangles Vaccine is of value only in the control of infection due to Streptococcus equi. (For control only: no value in the treatment of strangles).
- Pregnant mares may be vaccinated up to 2 weeks before foaling.
- By maintaining a regular vaccination program animals will retain a high level of circulating antibodies that will reduce the likelihood of a strangles outbreak occurring.
- Vaccination against strangles should be included as a part of every horse’s vaccination program.
- The Equivac® range of vaccines is available from your veterinarian or most saddleries and feed stores